Odd camshaft wear...

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Odd camshaft wear...
From: "Ernest Shirley" <ernestern@hot.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 20:39:47 -0600
I'm in the process of rebuilding the engine of my 78B and I noticed
something that I thought was odd when I pulled out my camshaft.  The first
and last lobe on the shaft showed signs of extreme wear...I mean they were
practically round, yet the other six lobes have hardly worn a bit.  I would
have thought that all the lobes would have worn out roughly at the same
time.  Is this typical or should I be looking for something while I have all
these engine guts strewn about on the table.  The lifters for the 1st and
8th valves had some minor pitting but I wouldn't think they caused this...
Any ideas?