re: Chicago driving

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: re: Chicago driving
From: Brian Swearingen <woodysfj40@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:28:29 -0800 (PST)
I can top most Chicagoland travel stories...

4 trucks/motorhomes, all with car trailers loaded with offroad trucks.
Running the loop at 10pm.  Flat tire, drivers side, on one 5th wheel at
a toll stop, so we pull over, lose 2 of the group to the traffic, and
change the tire with semi's roaring by.  Next toll stop, we catch up to
the balance of the group but the same trailer drops another tire on the
same side.  No second spare, and his spindle is a different pattern
than the rest of us.  So, we dismount one good one from another trailer
spare, dismount his junked one, remount the good one on his rim, seat
it and air it up, and install it on the trailer.  Only one hour's time.
 Fortunately, the balance of the trip is uneventful.  Arrive at our
destination only 1-1/2 hours late.

The scary thing was, none of us even batted an eye as we began
systematically swapping tires and rims....guess we're accostomed to it!

Although, rewelding a trailer axle by the side of the road comes
close...  ;-)

=====
Brian Swearingen        http://www.IH8MUD.com
** Pres, Land Cruiser Legends ** VP-Region C, Wisc4WDA **
1995 Toy Pickup, V6, 5-speed, 4.56, 33x10.5 BFG AT-KO's, discos
1974 FJ40, 350, SM465, SOA, 4WDisc, locked, Newfields, 38.5" SX's
1977 MGB (hers), 1985 Ford Class C, 1999 Honda Civic (hers)
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/