RE: Noisy gearbox? on 69 MGB

To: <BPearce2001@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Noisy gearbox? on 69 MGB
From: "Ken Waringa" <kwaringa@dynsys.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 07:25:28 -0600
I've seen a lot of responses about off list messages and Kai's TR, but we
finally get an honest to god request for info, and I haven't seen any

Becky, if your sure the hydraulics are functioning properly, this doesn't
sound good.  I recommend you measure the movement of the clutch slave
cylinder push rod to determine if in fact it is moving as it's supposed to.
I'm not sure how far it should move on a B, probably about 1/2 to 5/8 inch
or so, but I'm sure someone on the list will have exact measurement.  If
that's alright, any further checking of the clutch and transmission will
require pulling the engine and transmission.  I know there are some that
have pulled the transmission without the engine, but I have not done that.
I would recommend you check the throwout bearing first.  If the throwout
bearing is worn to the point it's not fully disengaging the clutch it may
cause the problems your having.  If not the throwout bearing it's probably
internal to the gearbox.  I'll leave that to some of the more knowledgeable
folks on the list.

Good Luck

Ken