Re: Noisy gearbox? on 69 MGB

To: jmc <jmc987@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Noisy gearbox? on 69 MGB
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 09:24:29 -0800
I think you are barking up the wrong tree here.  Those angle drives are
a worm gear assembly (at least the last one I destroyed was).  It's hard
to imagine that design and its small size can make enough noise to be
heard inside the car.

Be sure to use that spacer washer that VB sells to ensure that the cable
is not jamming the drive. If that doesn't fix it then I'd suspect that a
worn rear extension bearing is your problem. Or, if you are really
lucky, it could also be the U-joint, but they usually make a snapping
noise when badly worn, and vibrate enough to shake the car.

It may be time for a transmission rebuild.  Be aware too that the
weakest part of these early boxes is the laygear shaft and bearings.
Those needle bearings wear and chew up the shaft and inner surface of
the laygear. The laygear alone is $270, and with new  bearings, shaft,
syncros, seals, etc. it can go to $600-$700 for parts alone.

If you are a good mechanic with a decent set of tools and a good size
vise there is no reason you can't do this rebuild yourself, I've done
three now successfully.  Just set up a clean, well lighted area, get the
Haynes and the Bentley, and take your time.

Ignore that procedure with the dial indicator for setting the front
cover shims, just use Plastigauge placed in two or three places on the
cover to measure the actual shim clearance.  Works much better!  (Be
sure to order a supply of shims along with your other parts.)'

Have fun, and if you want to convert to a full syncro let me know!

--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia w/2.1
'65 MGB (Daily driver since 1969)
'74 MGB GT (Restoring sloooowly)

Assisting on Restoration (and spending OPM):
'72 MGB GT (Daughter's)
'64 MGB (Son's)

Stripped and gone but their parts live on:
'68 MGB, '73 MGB, '67 MGB GT

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list