Re: Noisy gearbox? on 69 MGB

To: <BPearce2001@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Noisy gearbox? on 69 MGB
From: <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 19:27:51 -0000
> Now for the BIG question... Last year while driving I noticed that the MGB
> was getting harder to shift.  This continued until I was unable to shift
at
> all.  My ex boyfriend had put DOT 3 brake fluid in the brakes and clutch
> master cylinders.  Believing this to be the cause of the problem, I
replaced
> both mc's along with the clutch slave cylinder.  Let me also interject at
> this point that when the car is in neutral there is a growling sound.
>
> After replacing the cylinders, I am still having a problem shifting.  And
the
> growling sound is now louder than it was last year.

If you can depress the clutch with engine running and engage reverse without
an crunching then I would say the clutch and hydraulics are OK, and I would
agree with Ken's comment on 1/2" or so of travel at the slave piston being
correct for a definitive check.

> But once I put the car into neutral and let out the clutch it
> will no longer shift into any gear.  I have to turn off the car and
restart
> it.

Do you mean "put the car into neutral, let out the clutch, then depress the
clutch pedal again" and you can't engage any gear?  I am assuming so,
because with the engine running and the clutch pedal *not* depressed you
should not be able to engage gear anyway, of course.  You could have a bad
case of baulking - some balking is common on BMC/BL gearboxes, I have
occasionally had to bump the lever down into second before it will engage
first (synchro and non-synchro) on 30-years-worth of BMC/BL cars, also
reverse.  Together with the growling I would suspect gearbox problems more
than clutch.

PaulH.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list