Re: Noisy gearbox? on 69 MGB

To: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@prodigy.net>
Subject: Re: Noisy gearbox? on 69 MGB
From: Charley & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 00:06:40 -0800
Larry,

  What do you have against angle drives?  I have one on my OD tranny.  I
also have a spare.  When a brand new (550 miles) speedo cable jammed and
took out the tranny drive spindle, the failure was at the bend behind
the speedo.  If I'd had an angle drive on there it wouldn't have
failed.

  Max, in case you didn't know, some (maybe all?) Bs came with an angle
drive attached to the speedo.  It's smaller in diameter than the one on
the tranny.  The reason you don't see them too often is that the little
boogers are expensive, if you can find one and the "we tight" approach
when they fail (as all mechanical devices eventually do) is to use the
less expensive, longer OD speedo cable.  This is usually a false
economy, IMHO, because it often leads to premature failure of the cable
at the tight bend behind the speedo.

  Cheers,

  CR

///