Engine compartment

To: "'MG List'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine compartment
From: "Parker, Richard" <RPARKER@csuchico.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 11:55:04 -0700
Looking for some advice, List:
I have the engine out of my '62 MGA Mk II for a rebuild and want to spruce
up the engine compartment before putting it back.  I've chiseled thirty-nine
years of grease and dirt from the nooks and crannies, then squirted it down
with degreaser and hit it with a pressure washer.  It's now pretty clean,
with bare metal showing here and there where the original (I think) black
paint is gone.  I'm getting a little bit of thin, surface rusting, but I
expected that would happen.

I'm trying to decide what to do next.  I figured I'd  wipe it all down with
steel wool and either carb cleaner or lacquer thinner, then pain with a flat
black Rustoleum paint.  Does that sound like it'll do the job?  Anything I
might do that would either look better or last longer?
TIA  --Richard

Richard Parker
Department of Philosophy
California State University