Re: Performance drawbacks

To: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Subject: Re: Performance drawbacks
From: Martin Frankford <martin@virtual-motors.com>
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 07:47:39 -0500 (CDT)
On Wed, 2 May 2001, Eric wrote:

> A simple question or two ;-)
>
> Is it damn inevitable that flat-top pistons and a ported/polished head
> will lead to run-on (dieseling)?  Or pinging/pinking under load unless
> high octane fuel is used?
>
> Without killing the performance of the vehicle (I paid a lot of money
> for that performance) I am finding it really hard to resolve either of
> these issues, but both are manageable using AVGAS.

High compression causes preignition. Was your head shaved or your deck
blocked? Either would have raised compression. Porting would have redeuced
compression as it would have made the combustion chamber larger (assuming
nothing else was done). And of course were your new pistons of the high
compression variety?

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list