Re: Oil Pressure Transmitter

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Oil Pressure Transmitter
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 May 2001 17:59:25 EDT
In a message dated 02/05/01 10:21:53 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
owner-mgs-digest@autox.team.net writes:

> ."
>    I suspect that the mechanical gauge is more precise than the electric
> gauge but that's just my bias.  The electric gauge is also a thermal
> mechanism that is, by design, s_l_o_w to respond to changes.......
> In my other sports car, the oil pressure gauge has very little 'damping'
> and responds almost instantly to changes in pressure.  That car also
> performs comfortably at 7700rpm and would 'eat it's own lunch' if it
> lost oil circulation and the driver didn't notice it VERY quickly.  It also

Rick - I agree that the Bourdon tube gauges with direct connection by
suitably sized tubing make me feel better than the electric versions. The
stock gauges supplied by such as Smiths normally have way too small capillary
tube (I like size 3 or 4 braided Teflon hose) to register quickly enough - by
the time you see a pressure drop you have already been without oil for enough
time, perhaps in a long curve, to do damage.

And I have to ask what your 7700 rpm 100 psi sports car is. It sounds too
much like my Lamborghini in terms of rpm and pressure to be a coincidence,
but the Islero has an electric, not mechanical gauge - I just spent some time
finding a 10 Bar gauge as a replacement.

Bill S.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list