Re: Wooden steering wheel

To: rolindsay@dgrc.com
Subject: Re: Wooden steering wheel
From: Ajhsys@aol.com
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 09:32:50 EDT
In a message dated 5/22/01 5:09:00 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rolindsay@dgrc.com writes:

>    A zillion coats of Aircraft Stripper eventually took the finish
> off of the wood and left the wheel ready to lightly sand and
> refinish.  It didn't bother the aluminum at all.  I will shoot the
> wood with clear coat (outside) perhaps later this week.

Has anybody used spar varnish or good quality gun stock varnish on a steering
wheel?  Those finishes hold up extremely well.  Even polyurethane would work
well and be very waterproof.

Allen Hefner
SCCA Philly Region Rally Steward
'77 Midget