RE: MGC Sebring Car / Fraud

To: "'Carl W French'" <cfrench@cybertours.com>,
Subject: RE: MGC Sebring Car / Fraud
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 11:26:55 -0700
> I like how John Elwood and Kelvin Dodd have looked at this
> issue. If this
> car is not real is a very ,very good replica. The value of
> this car is very
> high for that reason alone. When a 1965 B in condition 2 with
> many engine
> bay modifications sells for over 16K this Spring I think they are not
> criminal in asking over 20K for this car.

        Just to clarify.  The car in question is NOT a very good replica of
a factory GTS race car.

        It is a very highly modified, well built, race legal, streetable
MGCGT.  It bears only outward resemblance to the GTS cars that were raced at
Sebring.

        The car has been the center of controvesy for almost twenty years,
as it was purported to have been assembled with the chassis legs, some
components and a chassis plate of a factory competition car.

        There is no agreement that such an extra competition car ever
existed, and the provenance of the car has yet to be proved.

        Included with the car are a number of documents which alone have
historical value.  Their additional value is in continuing the controvesy
surrounding this vehicle.

        The vehicle should not be represented as a factory race car as it
bears only outward resemblance to the works cars as raced, and it's
provenance is still disputed.

        As for value.  I would assume that anyone bidding on such a vehicle
would be wise enough to know that the provenance is inconclusive and bid
accordingly.  As an extremely modified car with such a controversial
history, I would imagine the value to be still quite high.

At this point arguing the relevance of stamped vin plate is a little beyond
me, as the ownership of the car is not in question.  What vin plate is
attached to the car is a matter of state legality and documentation.
Whether the car is or is not a factory Sebring car is up to the MG
community, because we are the only people who really care.  Nobody else
really gives a tinkers cuss.

Kelvin.

Very glad he is building his GTS look alike on a 4 cylinder shell, so he
doesn't have to get embroiled in this kind of problem.

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list