Re: Working on modern cars (was daily driver)

To: "Brinkman, Gerardo V" <GB127167@exchange.DAYTONOH.NCR.com>,
Subject: Re: Working on modern cars (was daily driver)
From: S & M Barnes <barnesms@swbell.net>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 08:22:08 -0500
----- Original Message -----
Said.........

> >Lets say the MG is worth $6000, consider the replacement, if I buy a new
> car I'd have to spend
> >$20,000 plus.  AND I can't work on it!  What could be eaiser to fix than
an
> MG?

And Gerardo Brinkman Replied.........

> I have heard this (I can't work on modern cars) argument on many
> occasions on this list.
>
> What confuses me, is what is so different on a modern car that makes it
> difficult to work on ?

Lack of access most of the time. I had to change a head gasket on a 1988
Toyota Camry last year, 4 cylinder, double OHC, fuel injected.

The whole job took me 20 hours, I could do the same on my B in 2! I came to
the conclusion that if I ever have to do it again it will actually be easier
and quicker to pull the engine. Even changing the cam belt on it takes 4
hours.

Never mind the fact the head gasket cost $125 US!

Cheers

MikeB

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list