Re: Working on modern cars (was daily driver)

To: "Brinkman, Gerardo V" <GB127167@exchange.DAYTONOH.NCR.com>
Subject: Re: Working on modern cars (was daily driver)
From: "R. O. Lindsay" <rolindsay@dgrc.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 08:53:05 -0500
"Brinkman, Gerardo V" wrote:

> Sooooo - why is it so difficult to work on modern cars ?
>
> gerry

   Gerry, I think the difference is the skill set needed to
work on these cars.  One can clean, adjust and/or replace
the points, condenser, cap rotor and perhaps even the
vacuum capsule on an old car without really understanding
the electrical system or how the secondary voltage is
generated.  However, I believe that a much deeper
understanding is required to maintain the electronic
ignition on a modern car.  Fortunately, they don't need much.
   I can adjust the fuel-air mixture on my MG rather easily.
Not only is is difficult on a new car, it's illegal -- not that that
ever worried me.
   My '92 BMW has a dozen computers onboard, at least.
Not only do I not have the tools to trouble shoot them, the
documentation is all but impossible to obtain unless you
are a BMW shop.  And that's just the way they ALL want it.
   And yes, brakes are brakes.  And brake pads are easily
changed.  Oh, but don't forget to replace and rewire the
brake pad wear sensors on the right front and the left rear
and then reset the computer...
   I am not knocking your post or gawd forbid, flaming you.
I just think that it may be just a little bold to say that
complex systems are as easy to maintain as simple systems.
There's a Great Truth of the Universe being violated in there
somewhere.

--
Rick Lindsay
Diamond Geoscience Research