Re: Working on modern cars (was daily driver)

To: "mg list" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Working on modern cars (was daily driver)
From: "Larry" <larry@larryembrey.com>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 15:25:32 -0700
I must disagree that newer cars are as easy to work on.  The blasted things
are to over engineered!!  My Maxda truck is a prime example.  It IS super
reliable (130Kmi before needing any service) but was a nightmare to fix.  A
timing chain replacement was quoted @ $1500US from dealers and foriegn shops.
I elected to do it myself (heck I had torn down my MGB, how bad could it be!?)
3 mos later it was done.  I found out the hard way that a timing chain
replacement required shortblocking the engine.  Heads, oil pan and everything
else off the block. $900 in parts and tooling later I had it done, mind you I
bought a nice compressor (required to get crank and many other bolts off) had
a full valve job done and ported and polished the head while at it, but I now
know why they wanted so much $$.  Every bolt interconnects to 3 items and
those items each  index to 3 more items.  was the concept simple yes, very,
but the logistics and real work of it makes them impossible to work on.  Then
add on top of them all the computerized pieces and sensors.  Yes the computer
can tell you what is wrong but you either have to buy the multi thousand
dollar decoder machines (I know some GM decoders are cheaper) or take it to a
shop to have them decode it which means getting it running or towed of the
problem is severe..

Give my my MG anyday.  Fuel, air, spark..  Looks it runs!

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list