Re: MG Numbers

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: MG Numbers
From: Max Heim <mvheim@studiolimage.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 13:41:12 -0700
Glad to help. It turns out my description of body numbers was actually only
correct for roadsters up to 1969. Here is what Clausager has to say in
"Original MGB":

"The body number question is further complicated by the fact that each MGB
roadster with a Coventry-built body had <i>two</i> body numbers, only one of
which was written into the production records at Abingdon. And the number in
the records is <i>not</i> the number which is described as the body number
in most of the parts lists...

Of the two numbers on early MGB roadsters, one number is prefixed 'MGB' and
is stamped on an alloy tag screwed to the inner wing valance behind the
radiator diaphragm in the engine compartment, on the right-hand side when
looking from the front. This number is <i>not</i> listed in the records. The
other number has no prefix and is stamped on a tag which is spot-welded in a
similar position to the wing valance on the left-hand side when looking from
the front, and this is the body number which is quoted in the production
records. The 'MGB' prefixed numbers start their number series from 101,
while the un-prefixed numbers start from 1, and both ran up to over 110000
for the Mark I models. On Mark II roadsters, the 'MGB' number tag moved in
front of the radiator diaphragm panel.

On roadsters from 1969, with Swindon/Cowley-built bodies, it appears that
there is only the one body number with the MGB prefix, and that this is now
listed in the production records. However, from the start of Mark II
production the special North American roadsters had their own body number
series, with a prefix of MGBU."

Did you follow that? <g>

My interpretation is that your car should only have one body number; it
should begin with MGBU (as it does); and that NA cars are a different series
than UK cars starting in 1968, so the body number breakdown shown in Moss
probably doesn't mean a doggone thing.

on 6/8/01 11:37 AM, Chris Chandler at barak@voyager.net wrote:

> What's funny is I think (I'll have to go look) that I have that stupid
> little pipe on top.  :/

That kind of makes sense -- when they swapped engines they may have
transferred some of the plumbing from the old engine. You might want to
check if your carburetors are off the 18GB or the 18GH engine --
--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149

--