Re: coil spring compressor

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Subject: Re: coil spring compressor
From: <aaronw@wsu.edu>
Date: Sun, 8 Jul 2001 10:28:32 -0700 (PDT)
Woah, talk about timing.  I just installed my anti-sway bar yesterday,
which (for me) involved replacing spring pans, A arms, and bushings
(while I had it apart, may as well do some proper minor work).

On Sun, 8 Jul 2001, Barney Gaylord wrote:

<snip standard suggested way, Barney covered>

> Now for another method, some folks occasionally suggest removing the four
> small bolts to separate the spring pan from the lower arm without unbolting
> the outer links, and then lowering the jack to let the pan come free of the
> lower a-arm.  That seems like such a PITA way to do it that I don't suppose
> I would ever try it, but if I ever did I would indeed be very cautious
> about letting the spring force go suddenly.  Once the spring pan comes free
> of the lower arm there is nothing to guide it, so it has the potential of a
> sudden sidewise motion if the jack were to slip.  I suppose it would also
> be a bit of a pain for reassembly in the reverse manner.

In my case, the lower outer link was completely corroded in place.  I
couldn't budge the bolt, even with the assistance of an air hammer.

I ended up unbolting the 4 spring pan nuts and (slowly) lowering the
pan.  It wasn't as easy, certainly more spooky to do, but it worked.

We then could remove the A arms (1 complete with the front link
doodad).  Not fun.  My guess is that it didn't get proper greasing
during it's life.

We reassembled normally.

--
Aaron Whiteman -- Thoughts of graduation vaguely apply.
 My opinions are mine and do not reflect the views of the University.

///