New to List - Questions about MGA

To: MG <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: New to List - Questions about MGA
From: Peter Guagenti <peter@guagenti.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2001 21:54:23 -0700
Howdy,

I'm new to the list, and _very_ new to LBC's.  I just picked up a
long-sitting '62 MGA.  It's been neglected, it's ugly, but it's complete.  I
haven't checked to see if the engine is seized yet (I spent all day cleaning
out animal nests and rotted carpeting), or how she is mechanically.  Check
out pics at:

http://www.guagenti.com/MGA/DSC00004.JPG
http://www.guagenti.com/MGA/DSC00005.JPG

On the good side, it's complete as far as I can tell.  The tires took air,
and the car rolled freely.  On top of all that, the former owner had a trunk
(umm, I mean "boot") full of brand new parts.

The questions I have are:

- Is there a book that gives good instruction for a ground-up restoration on
a car like this?  The more detailed and step-by-step the better, as this is
my first older car.

- With what little research I've done, it would seem that this car is a 1600
Mark II DeLuxe.  It has 4-wheel disk brakes and an oil cooler.  Can anyone
verify that, or give me advice on how I can figure it out?

- Are there good clubs I can join in Northern California?  I work in SF, and
live about 10 minutes from Sears Point? :-)

- Any tips for a new owner?  I tune and race a '95 BMW M3 (auto-x, track
events, etc), so this is a whole new world for me...

Any help is appreciated.

Regards,

- peterg

///