Re: 4 wheel disc brakes

To: <Aeseeyou@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 4 wheel disc brakes
From: "David Hill" <davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2001 19:42:00 -0000
Hi, Albert.

I'm glad it's for racing; the rear drums on my B lock up quite easily on the
road!
Working from memory, Jaguar S type, E Type and XJ and Rover 2000 rear discs
are all inboard and impossible to fit to a live axle.
I don't know if anyone does a kit but there are many modern cars using
outboard rear discs with handbrake facility; with some trick machining (and
a limiter!) it should be possible to make one of these sets fit...
VW Golf/Scirocco
Rover 200/400 series
Ford Sierra (not all models)
Any one of a number of imports, e.g. Japanese, German, Italian...

Most, if not all, are single cylinder 'Colette' type calipers with a lever
actuated eccentric cam to work the handbrake.

Just two points. Some cars (Volvo, Vauxhall/Opel/GM) use handbrake shoes
that operate inside the 'top hat' shape of the disc - could be tricky for
space on a B. Also, Bendix rear disc setups - Fiat 124, Renault Alpine and
Matra - use a plunger handbrake with bellvill washers to act as a return
'spring'. Happliy, you probably won't be able to find any of these because
they are a pain in the a**, for leaking, seizing, causing brake pull and
generally being useless.

Dave Hill
'72 BGT
Former owner of Fiat 124 Coupes, Matra Bagheera...and a Jaguar-based Cobra
replica with a hydraulic handbrake (tsk!)