Re: 4 wheel disc brakes

To: <Aeseeyou@aol.com>
Subject: Re: 4 wheel disc brakes
From: "David Hill" <davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 00:09:15 -0000
My pleasure, Albert.

Do you mean the discs themselves, or just the thin metal dust shields?
Assuming you mean the actual discs they should, in theory, fit the the rear
hubs simply through having the same bolt pattern. However, there is the
question of how the offset would suit and whether the centre hole would be
the right size.
Just thinking aloud, I'd suggest considering these apsects...

1. Taking a bare axle end, maybe use a ring of sheet steel the same
thickness as the old brake back plate to keep the bearing location as
original. This would equal axle end, hub retainer and hub, with the old
backplate out of the way.

2. Trying on a disc to see if it fits and clears everything. If not, can any
fouling be relieved without compromising the strength of the axle? Would it
be necessary to pack behind the disc with shims? Will it clear the wheel?

3. Trying some different calipers to see how the cast 'bridge' can be
attached to the B axle, possibly with the four, 3/8" UNF hub retaining bolts
and some sort of collar.

4. Finding if the brake cable run could be acommodated within the wheel?

5. Thinking about an adjustable limiter. This could be done with a dual
master cylinder/balance bar arrangement but the Mini limiter can be made
adjustable by adding a bolt in the 'dry' end to alter the preload of the
spring inside - much cheaper.

Hope this helps - wonder if anyone's carried out the conversion already?

All the best,

Dave