Re: 4 wheel disc brakes

To: <Aeseeyou@aol.com>
Subject: Re: 4 wheel disc brakes
From: "David Hill" <davhill@btinternet.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2001 19:06:57 -0000
Hello, Albert.

>From the pics, it looks like the caliper bracket replaces the bearing
retainer and must therefore carry the hub oil seal - clever! I'd be inclined
to suggest that making such brackets from scratch would be a costly and
frustrating business. I expect it could be done but are these brackets, or
indeed the entire conversion available to buy? I think this may be so; who'd
make up patterns for one-off castings?
I reckon that making up the hub rings from steel stock, then having the
bracket sections MIG or TIG welded in place, plus the refacing necessary to
take out welding distortion would be an expensive business. Plus, in steel,
the whole assembly would probably be considerably heavier than a pair of
drums, not only increasing the unsprung weight but, arguably, upsetting the
car's polar moment of inertia. Whethet this would be significant would
involve knowing how much extra weight is involved.

Given the costs of machining and fabrication, I'd check this out - you may
well find it cheaper in the long run.

Please let me know what you find out.
Cheers,

Dave.

> Thanks Dave,
> That was really a great platform to start from. Your insights and
questions
> are pretty much the same as I would have listed, had I the mechanical
> aptitude that you obviously enjoy. No, I'm more of a theorist than a
mechanic
> so I find your How-to's most helpful. I do have a practical side however
and
> can search the Internet finding data like:>>
> http://www.mgcars.org.uk/v8_conversions/files/brake/rdisc.html<< which
shows
> the actual application of rear disc brakes on an MGB rear axle. Check it
out.
> I've actually requested further information from the Website manager since
> the above article is more of a pictorial essay with sparse wording. After
> get the information I've requested, then with what you and others have
> supplied I should have enough to start the rear wheel Disc Brake
Conversion
> with plenty of handy information and pertinent data. I really want to
> sincerely thank all of you for your great help. Graci!
> Albert Escalante 1978 MGB; 1957 3.4 litre (Mk.I) 1977 XJ-6L; 1985 XJ-6
(not
> running)

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list