ID'ing engine parts

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: ID'ing engine parts
From: Patton Dickson <kpdii@softhome.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 19:06:02 -0600
Hey everyone,

As I am getting things together for trying to resurrect this engine.  To
day I bought a group 26 battery and will hook it up on Tuesday and drain
and replace the oil, water, and gas that is in the car now.  After looking
things over, I have a couple more questions to ask.

Last week I found out that my engine is a later engine than a original, no
big deal to me, but now I have to figure out the parts that are on
it.   What are the differences between the correct original block (18GB/UH)
and what is in the car (18V672Z)?  It seems that the heads on the car now
are the earlier heads (maybe the originals) as there are no emission
provisions on it.  I also seems that I have the generator, not the
alternator.  How can I figure out what has been mixed where?   Anything
else to look for.

Instead of the canister type oil filter, I have a hanging spin on type
filter, I do not know if it is aftermarket or the later stock type, how can
I tell?  What filter can I get locally at NAPA or Advance?   I found a
couple of sites talking about locally obtaining oil filters, are these what
I need?

http://www.mgbexperience.com/service/filters.html
http://www.mgcarclubdc.com/oilfltr.html

Will the later engine bolt up to the early transmission?  I assume that I
have the early transmission still in there, how can I tell w/o the car
running or engine out?

Thanks again, I am sure there will be more questions to come.

Patton

Patton Dickson - Richmond, TX
1965 Corvair Monza 110/4sp 'vert
1967 MGB

New Website!!!!  All New Format!!! All New Location!!!!
http://carport.virtualave.net/

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///