Re: ID'ing engine parts

To: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Subject: Re: ID'ing engine parts
From: Patton Dickson <kpdii@softhome.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2001 21:55:21 -0600
Wow Barney, Thanks for that level of detail, I needed that....

So my heads and generator are likely to be off the original 67 motor as
they are the "early" style as you described.  I also have a PVC valve
instead of other emission systems in place.

 From your descriptions, it appears that I also have the early starter as
there is no solenoid mounted on the outside of the starter. The solenoid
used in the car is mounted on the passenger side engine compartment
wall.  If I'm right in that, I will call the starter "early" as well.  Does
that mean that I can assume a correct transfer of the 10-inch flywheel (120
tooth ring gear) to that "early" inertia type starter, and therefore I have
the 3-synchronizer gearbox .

Would the later style oil filter you described be offset towards the
passenger side of the car rather than towards the front?  It does seem to
be offset almost an entire filters length towards the side of the car.  The
filter installed in there is a NAPA, but the only numbers I can read start
with 10 the rest is faded.  That seems to point to the later offset as well
(maybe a NAPA 1068).  It is so far over it almost touches the coil and the
plate under the generator (I don't know what that plate is yet)

Does I sound like I am on the right track in saying that my engine has only
had the block "updated" (along with the oil filter) and the starter,
generator, heads, and gearbox seem to remain correct for 1967?

Thanks for all of your help
Patton

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list