Re: Removing Smog Controles-An Ethical Question

To: Jack Feldman <qualitas@millenicom.com>
Subject: Re: Removing Smog Controles-An Ethical Question
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@camden.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:30:09 -0500 (EST)
Hi Jack,

    I used to collect shells during SCUBA diving and worried a small
amount about the ethics of taking a live animal from the ocean to die so I
could harvest its artifact, a shell.
  So I asked a malacologist friend about it, a honcho prof from Harvard,
and she laughed at me. Take a 100. Take a 1000. It won't matter so long as
their environment is undisturbed. They make many, many babies and one
fool-hardy or 10 fool-hardy collectors won't interfere with the evolution
and ecology of that species.

I took her message to heart.

Anyway, when I removed the smog equipment from my 76B during my
replacement of the ZS with SU's, I didn't worry much at all. I drive a few
thousand
miles at the most. Trucks drive many times that and generate levels of
pollution (if that is your concern) that my B could only dream about.
I started thinking about how many antique cars drive in New Jersey and
what would the pollution generation be from all of them if they all
removed their emission's stuff.  Would it be measureable?  I seriously
doubt it. Are you adding a debt to the environment?  Unmeasureable.
Don't worry. B happy...or be a happy B'er and do as you need to keep
your vehicle in the shape you want it to be in.

my 2 cents :)

Bill Saidel
'76B

> Time to make a decision. The new 1 3/4 carb intake manifold would need
> adapting to be able to fit the gulp valve. It would be easy to just remove
> all the emission control stuff.
>
> The car always passed the emission control test with the stuff in place, but
> now that I have Illinois Antique plates I don't have to do the emission
> test. I could also use the canister space for the vacuum head of the planned
> cruise control.
>
> To remove, or not to remove. What are your thoughts?

Bill Saidel
Rutgers University

"Sacred cows make divine hamburgers."

///