Re: Removing Smog Controles-An Ethical Question

To: Rkegg465@cs.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Removing Smog Controles-An Ethical Question
From: Aaron Whiteman <aaronw@wsu.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2002 17:58:25 -0800 (PST)
On Wed, 16 Jan 2002, Jack Feldman wrote:

> The car always passed the emission control test with the stuff in place, but
> now that I have Illinois Antique plates I don't have to do the emission
> test. I could also use the canister space for the vacuum head of the planned
> cruise control.

I was fortunate enough to not have to answer this question.  In
Washington, cars have to pass emissions for 25 years, but are only
tested in 4 counties (and I am not in one of them).  However, to make
the point moot, the previous owner had removed just about everything.

All that remains is the Carbon canister, and the (refitted)
anti-run-on valve.  I figure my car runs fairly efficiently, and it is
nice to think that at least the emissions equipment that doesn't
cripple the car is still in action (well, assuming I don't need to
renew the charcoal).

Personally, I would remove the gulp valve, air pump and such, but
leave the carbon canister, anti-run-on valve, and associated vent
piping in place.

--
My opinions are mine, and do not reflect the view of the university.
    http://www.wsu.edu/~aaronpw/

///