Re: Removing Smog Controles-An Ethical Question

To: aaronw@wsu.edu
Subject: Re: Removing Smog Controles-An Ethical Question
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 09:08:44 -0500
  In CT, MGBs with emissions gear fitted struggled for years to pass
emissions testing, which was performed at an idle.  Four or five years
ago, the test was changed, to a 35 mph (approx) test in top gear on a set
of rollers.  Suddenly, amazingly, everybody's MGB passed the new test
just fine----with or without the emissions gear!
  So, it can be said that one could, with clear conscience, remove the
air pump, the air rail,  and other plumbing.  One would like to think
that the new test more effectively measures pollutants at actual
operating conditions (else why would the test have been changed and
expensive new testing equipment installed?) so that the MGB passing the
new test meets or exceeds the spirit of the law, if not the letter.
  My MGB has the evaporative fuel system in place, since I imagine that
by trapping vapors for future use, it may be saving a tablespoon of fuel
each and every year. That system has no effect on the engine's
performance.
Bob

On Wed, 16 Jan 2002 17:58:25 -0800 (PST) Aaron Whiteman <aaronw@wsu.edu>
writes:
> I was fortunate enough to not have to answer this question.  In
> Washington, cars have to pass emissions for 25 years, but are only
> tested in 4 counties (and I am not in one of them).  However, to
> make
> the point moot, the previous owner had removed just about
> everything.
>
> All that remains is the Carbon canister, and the (refitted)
> anti-run-on valve.  I figure my car runs fairly efficiently, and it
> is
> nice to think that at least the emissions equipment that doesn't
> cripple the car is still in action (well, assuming I don't need to
> renew the charcoal).
>
> Personally, I would remove the gulp valve, air pump and such, but
> leave the carbon canister, anti-run-on valve, and associated vent
> piping in place.
>
> --
> My opinions are mine, and do not reflect the view of the university.
>     http://www.wsu.edu/~aaronpw/
> Security, like correctness, is not an add-on feature.
>  -- Andrew S. Tanenbaum

///