Re: Engine Paint

To: <Mgbbob@aol.com>, <kwaringa@dynsys.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Paint
From: "Rick Lindsay" <ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2002 08:11:17 -0600
Bob writes,

> Ken,
> I never primed my MG engine when I painted it. This was 6 years ago when I
> pulled the engine to detail the bay.

  Bob, Ken, the MG motor I just rebuild (last summer) was the first motor
I have ever primed before painting!  I did that because I wanted the valve
cover to be really smooth ( http://www.aubard.com/mgb-gt/Motor002.jpg )
rather than show the imperfections of the metal below
( http://www.aubard.com/mgb-gt/EngineBayAsReceived2.jpg ).  I was so
pleased with the results that I did the whole motor
( http://www.aubard.com/mgb-gt/EngineBayAsReceived1.jpg ) .  BTW, I
used PlastiCoat high heat engine primer
( http://www.aubard.com/mgb-gt/PrimeredHead.jpg ).  Please see other
pictures taken along the way at http://www.aubard.com/mgb-gt/ .
   I also just painted the cam cover for my BMW E30M3.  I primed it first
with a thin coat of the same engine primer.  I should have taken 'before'
pictures of the pealing black paint but that is 20/20 hindsight.  In the
pictures
at the link below, the airbox has NOT yet been refinished.

http://www.aubard.com/e30m3/

   Please know that I am not disagreeing with Bob's advice. I am just
offering
the opinion that if the metal is clean and oil free, refinishing either with
or without
primer is probably fine.  'With' just makes a smoother finish -- if you have
the
time, supplies, etc. and that is the look you desire.

Best,
Rick

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list