Re: Overdrive - slipping clutch?

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive - slipping clutch?
From: "Peter Schauss" <schauss@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 19:55:18 -0500
Answers:

1.  I am guessing that the slipping/grinding sound is coming from
the overdrive for two reasons.

-  It does it only in first gear.  Normally when a clutch gets worn
it starts slipping in 4th when you go up a hill.
-  The car never did this with the old, non-overdrive gearbox.

2.  The gearbox has only failed to drop out of overdrive twice in the
two years since I swapped gearboxes.  The first time, I switch the overdrive
off and downshifted into third.  It stayed in overdrive for about a block
and then dropped out.  The second time it dropped out of overdrive
before I downshifted.  It worked fine the rest of the way home, going
in and out of overdrive properly with no extraneous noises.  That was
about three days ago.  I decided not to drive it until I could
pull the solenoid and check out what might be making it stick.

One more bit of information:  The last time I drove the car I thought
that I smelled something like burning leaves,  similar to the way
my Healey smelled when I toasted the overdrive solenoid the first time.

Peter Schauss
Long Island, NY
1980 MGB
1963 BJ7