need advice - mgbgt list group

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: need advice - mgbgt list group
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 13:34:42 -0700
I am having a bit of a problem and am having a little trouble getting a
grip with it. Since its LBC and Internet related , I thought I might turn
to all of you for advice. Many of you know me as I've been on the list for
almost seven years now. I try to help out and generally stay out of
controversy. Now I am in the middle of my biggest Internet controversy, all
because I went backpacking this week. Just got back last night.

About two years ago roughly, I ran across a mgbgt discussuion group on
Yahoo so I joined it. It is real low traffic, maybe a couple messages a
month. A few weeks ago, the list owner asked for help maintaining the
group. I emailed him back and said I could help in a few weeks if he needed
it. He immediately announced I was now the moderator (actually co-moderator
with him). Since I was planning on being busy with work and backpacking, I
sent a message to him and the group confirming that I was a moderator and
that I would put some effort back into the group in about a week and a half.

While I was deep in the Grand Canyon, a small flame war broke out between
two people (4-6 messages?). The same listowner jumped in and posted this
public message:

>ok... thought had someone who could moderate.
>
>Dumb ass cant recognize a porn spammer with both hands.
>
>Unless I can find someone who has a better idea on how to spot that crap..
>will just put this list on hold ..
>
>List Owner

What this has to do with porn, I do not know. He then removed me from the
list and refused to let me post a response to this message of his. The
group is at: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mgbgt

I know there are a few of you on this list. For those of you on this list,
you can access the above website and see my message clearly indicating my
intention to begin moderating starting early next week.

Since then, this listowner has emailed me again, taunting me and calling me
a "dumbshit." Any advice on what I can or should do? Wisdom tells me to
just try to cool off. But on the other hand, he has essentially libeled me
on this list, taking a cheap duck and run shot. That bothers me a lot. And
I have too much work to catch up on that I don't need this to bother me.
Maybe at the least, another lister can get the truth out on the mgbgt list.
I can't because I have been blocked.

David
67 BGT
72 B