Re: Lumpy idle - more

To: Jeff Sharpe <jgsharpe@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Lumpy idle - more
From: Rocky Frisco <rock@rocky-frisco.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2002 21:15:17 -0600
Jeff Sharpe wrote:

> Out of town this weekend and just read your replies - very much appreciated.
> One more thought after mulling it over for a couple days.  The initial set-up
> of the carbs with the jets flush with the bridge, the RPM's rise when lifting
> the pistons slightly.  That's already too rich, isn't it?  I'm wondering if
> the needles and jets are very worn.  Maynard, your thought on the race cam
> isn't the first time that's been mentioned.  A reputable mechanic here in
> Atlanta suggested the same thing when he couldn't resolve the idle issue.  How
> would I know for sure?  Will get that vac advance ordered, for sure.  Need to
> get that right.  I'll try (almost) anything!

If the (SU) carb mix is perfect, when you raise the piston slightly
the idle speed should momentarily rise, but then fall back down
again.

If it stays faster, it's too rich; if it doesn't rise, but falls off
immediately, it's too lean.

I suspect an air leak, probably at the manifold-to-carb, possibly
manifold-to-head junction.

-Rock  http://www.rocky-frisco.com
--
Red Dirt Rangers (Rocky on piano): http://www.reddirtrangers.com