Re: 2.2 Litre MGB

To: <WSpohn4@aol.com>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 2.2 Litre MGB
From: "Kai M. Radicke" <kmr@pil.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 12:48:22 -0500
> > engine makes 172hp and pulls to 8000rpm.  It has Pierce
> > crossflow Al head,  weber side draft carbs, twin point Mallory
> > dist etc.  From what the article said the thing really comes
> > alive at 6500rpm, and that mated with a 5speed
>
> Comes alive at 6500?
>
> Driveable???
>
> Methinks a contradiction lurks, nay prances through that
> statement!

Well afterall, the article did appear in GRM... and we all know what the
content of GRM is worth.  Of course, most magazines that advance date their
publications by three months are a dead give away to their actual worth.

> BTW, a Twincam MG engine with similar stuff (and a bit lower
> displacement displacement) can produce in the 190+ bhp range,
> and it still has a slightly better torque curve ;-)

190+bhp out of a 1588cc motor from the mid 1950s!  That is an incredible
output.  My Audi/VW 20 valve, four cylinder, turbo 1.8T motor doesn't even
do that (granted if I were willing to void the warrantee and go for a chip
upgrade it would... but 180bhp is good for now).  What specification is this
Twincam motor, and what on earth are the components made out of?

Might go pick look at GRM at the book store today, to read about this car of
Pierce's for myself.

Kai

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list