Re: 2.2 Litre MGB

To: kmr@pil.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 2.2 Litre MGB
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2002 22:42:13 EST
In a message dated 3/23/02 9:21:51 AM Pacific Standard Time, kmr@pil.net
writes:

> > BTW, a Twincam MG engine with similar stuff (and a bit lower
> > displacement displacement) can produce in the 190+ bhp range,
> > and it still has a slightly better torque curve ;-)
>
> 190+bhp out of a 1588cc motor from the mid 1950s!  That is an incredible
> output.  My Audi/VW 20 valve, four cylinder, turbo 1.8T motor doesn't even
> do that (granted if I were willing to void the warrantee and go for a chip
> upgrade it would... but 180bhp is good for now).  What specification is this
> Twincam motor, and what on earth are the components made out of?

A fully done overbore (c. 1800cc) Twincam engine with suitable cams, Webers,
head work and around 13.5:1 compression is capable of that, and has been done
- many years ago! You had to use it to around 7800 rpm, and the bottom end
had a limited life with that sort of thrashing, but I only mentioned it to
indicate that the Twincam had just that much more potential as a result of
better breathing, than the regular B or the crossflow version. Obviously
there were durability issues involved with using the engines to that state of
tune.

I use a lower state of tune for my race car - only around 12:1,  and no more
than 310 deg of duration and 100deg or so of overlap..........;-)

Bill

///
///  mgs@autox.team.net mailing list
///