Re: What are the Ramifications of Gasohol

To: "Maffei Andrew P SSgt 27 LG/LGQPT" <Andrew.Maffei@cannon.af.mil>,
Subject: Re: What are the Ramifications of Gasohol
From: "Rick Lindsay" <ROLindsay@Emeraldgrc.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 09:29:10 -0500
Andrew writes,

> ...I am lead to understand that this kind of fuel will
> burn very hot and eventually damage the valves.

   Could be.   Air fuel mixture requirements are VERY
different for alcohols.  It is very easy to run an overly-
lean mixture and burn things nicely.
   All that said, alcohol is a very good fuel and is used
in Indy cars and was used in all the Mecedes Silver
Arrows race cars.  The application just has to be
designed for it.   Out typical street cars are not.

> Even putting cooler running plugs in dose not help.

   No, it won't.  The temperature rating of a plug
describes how well heat is carried away from the
plug, nothing more.  A hot plug has less metal there
to conduct the heat so the tip remains hotter (to burn
off deposits).  A cold plug has a lot of metal there
so as to conduct the heat away (and cool the tip).
These plugs' tips therefore, remain cooler.
   Like everything in motorsport, there is a trade-off.
The ideal plug is the right plug for the application.
It needs to be just hot enough to clean itself (in the
application where it is used) but not so hot as to
function as a glo-plug, thereby causing preignition.

rick
Emerald Geoscience Research Corp.

Ps: Andrew, I did find the luggage carrier mounting
bits!  Please send me an address where I might forward
them.