Re: Gasolene

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gasolene
From: "Henry D. Reynolds" <hdr@jump.net>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 17:15:07 -0500
In Texas (and in the US in general) the "octane" rating on the
pump is the average of the "research" and the "mechanical" octane
rating(R+M/2). I don't know how it is labeled in other countries,
but I have not seen anything above "93" on a gas pump in Texas
since about 1980-ish and then you could only find it (97 or 98
octane leaded gas) at independent stations and their supply became
more and more spotty until it dried up altogether.

FWIW: as far as I know the mechanical octane rating is determined by a
variable compression engine using actual octane as a reference
fuel. "research" octane is presumably determined by chemical analysis.

--
Henry D. Reynolds - System Admin
mail: hdr@jump.net - phone: 512.448.3617 - cell: 512.699.8658