Re: Gasoline / Octane

To: "Bob D." <bobmgtd@insightbb.com>
Subject: Re: Gasoline / Octane
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Apr 2002 22:20:50 -0600
Bob:

I believe that the original TD was to be able to run of "Pool Petrol."
At the time, this was only 70 RON according to a MG book I have.  My TD
has a 9.3:1 CR.  I have found it necessary to run it quite often on 89
octane ethanol (US rating).  I haven't heard any "pinking."  IMO, the TD
engine is capable of handling lower octane fuels because of its small
bore.  IME, an engine with larger bore is more likely to "pink" than a
smaller bore using petrol of the same octane.  So, I would think that
any TD with about 8.3:1 or 8.6:1 CR should always be able to use 85 or
87 octane petrol.

Blake