Re: Gasoline / Octane

To: <WaltonPS@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Gasoline / Octane
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2002 08:11:39 -0700
An interesting proposition, Walt. However, remember that T-series cars were
sold as sports cars and many were, indeed, used in competition in the
Fifties and Sixties (and some are still being so used today, of course). In
order to improve their engines' power output, many owners raised the
compression ratio quite a lot by machining substantial amounts of metal off
the cylinder head. If one happens to own a T-type today with an engine that
has such a head on it, there is no way to replace that metal in order to use
"the factory-recommended low-octane fuel", however many gallons of 87-octane
one buys to save 20 cents a gallon.......

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center