Re: Gasoline / Octane

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Gasoline / Octane
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 02:50:47 +0930
"Jason F. Dutt" wrote:

> Well, if you're running your compression that high, I can see the potential
> for higher octane demands, too.
>
> Just out of curiosity, why run 11:1?  What sort of racing are you doing?

Actually it is more like 10+:1 - and my racing is purely sprints at the
moment.  Just go flat out for four laps then get off.  Actually they are
SuperSprints where we often get to do a little play-racing/dicing with
the odd other slower or similar paced car (with up to twelve cars on the
track at one time).  But generally it is just a case of keep that foot
flat to the floor most times (either flat on the throttle or flat on the
brakes).

The internals of the engine - flat top forged pistons; 1.7" rim flow
intakes; huge 21-4N Stainless, fancy-grooved valves; head ported to
within an inch of its life; etc etc. - well, you can blame all that
stuff on Neil Cotty.

And by the way, the performance gain was (from the race before to the
race after the engine re-build) about 5% or rather a 5 second
improvement from 1:41 to 1:36 per lap - enough to scare the pants of
some fellow competitors - and now down to 1:34.

Now, where *is* Neil Cotty these days (apart from 'in Ireland')???

Hey, I am running in 'modified' class now.  No need to hide some of that
stuff any more :-)

--
Eric
'68MGB MkII