RE: Off-topic: Viruses and Macs

To: "Jerry Erbesfield" <jerbesfield@mindspring.com>,
Subject: RE: Off-topic: Viruses and Macs
From: Steve Morris <MGA1500@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 18:53:13 -0400
On 4/30/02 2:20 AM, Jerry Erbesfield  <jerbesfield@mindspring.com> wrote:

>I don't know about the numbers you are using but virtually everybody in the
>computer industry knew that Apple was reeling during this period, having
>marketing and sales failures after marketing and sales failures and on the
>verge of giving up the ghost. If it hadn't been for Bill Gates intervention
>and his very public support, in many areas, not just the cash, Apple almost
>certainly would have folded in those times. His support added the legitimacy
>that Apple HAD to have to survive. Only pure die hard Mac fans have disputed
>this in the past. Gates pulled out Apple just as the government pulled out
>Chrysler and just as British Leyland did NOT pull out MG (the required LBC
>content).

At the risk of extending this off topic thread, I can back up Max's
numbers. I am an Apple stockholder, and had the annual report during
those times. I'm not positive about the 4 billion number, but it was
several billion. Apple's sales at the time were higher than dozens of big
name well repected businesses as published in Time or Newsweek or
something.

I am also a Microsoft stockholder, so I am unbiased in this matter. I own
Apple computers, but in my job, I've worked on UNIX and WinNT OS machines
over the last 20 years.

Steve

Steve Morris     Avon, Ohio
1958 MGA 1500    Red/Black