RE: Off-topic: Viruses and Macs

To: "Jerry Erbesfield" <jerbesfield@mindspring.com>,
Subject: RE: Off-topic: Viruses and Macs
From: Steve Morris <MGA1500@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 22:28:33 -0400
On 4/30/02 8:56 PM, Jerry Erbesfield  <jerbesfield@mindspring.com> wrote:

>Hi Steve!
>
>I too am a computer professional with a well rounded background, the MIS
>Director for our company (for approx. 10 years and 10 more years as my hobby
>before that).
>
>The dollars Max and you mention may in fact be accurate. However, that is
>not relative here to the point I was trying to make. The money alone was not
>the point. The point was that Apple couldn't sell anything.

True, sales were at a record low, but their sales were still more than
several large companies. I believe McDonald's was the most notable. Still
just a small player in the PC market, though. Product placement has
improved tremendously. I'm amazed how frequently I see and iMac, iBook,
or PowerBook in a TV show or movie.

>Apple Computers may in fact have still had lots of cash on hand but they
>were losing lots of money every reporting quarter

Yep. Then Steve jobs came back (for better or worse) MS promised future
Office development, and the iMac came out.

>Of course Apple HAS made a recovery with that Microsoft support, and with
>the introduction of new OS's, new hardware and better marketing - but you
>still can't get away from the fact that they CONTINUE to have such a very
>small percentage of the market share. They basically are a niche player,
>with their own little specialty following, mostly graphics designer types
>(of course with very vocal general user exceptions), hanging on to what the
>know, in spite of the fact that PC's having made such advances so as to
>catch and maybe even surpass Macs in that area too (depends on your bias).

True, in fact, Intergraph Corp claimed they would take the graphic
business away from Apple. They have since gone out of the box building
business and back to their original business of crtography software,
dropping completely out of the CAD field after almost 18 years! One thing
holding back PC graphic dominance is third party plug-in companies only
writing for Macs. The most popular plug-ins for Photoshop, XPress, etc
are not available for Windows.

>By the way, your two daughters sure look "fun" sitting in your A. Come visit
>my family too on my website!

Thanks, I have before. I like the pond!

Steve

Steve Morris     Avon, Ohio