Memorial Day/British Car week project questions

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Memorial Day/British Car week project questions
From: Patton Dickson <kpdii@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 11:17:37 -0500
It looks like my planned project weekend for Memorial Day got changed a
little.  The plan was to strip the car to bare metal and prime with a
corrosion resistant primer so I could start the body work.

That changed as I found out that I might be getting transferred again in
the next month or so.... (one job, 8 years, 4th move)  My company looks at
moving a running car much differently than a project car.  If I have an
inspection sticker on the car, and it will drive around a parking lot and
up and down a trailer, I am fine.  That was a big reason why I sold the
Sprite when we moved here last Spring.   I have the motor running fine, and
it drives down the street and back without any trouble excepting a sticking
brake.

I need to start getting the car as put together and try to pass inspection.

My rear brakes occasionally stick.  What I mean by that is they sometimes
grab then let go after I try to move.  This usually results in a little
spinning of the wheels a seen by the marks at the bottom of my driveway!!!
Is this something related to sitting for a while and I need to putt the
wheel and clean, or does this point to something else.

On the transmission shifter housing there I have the ball cover that looks
like an inverted bowl, there are three bolts that seem to be there to hold
the cover on, but they are not (nor can be) bolted all the way down.  The
exploded transmission picture in the Moss and Vicky Brit catalog does not
show bolts for the 67 transmission but it seems to use a clip.  I see the
later style uses screws, but it does not use the bowl shaped cover but
instead a flat one.  Driving down the street and back tells me I have the
later all sync transmission.   I think I have a DPO problem here since
there is no way to tighten down the heads of the nuts without them rubbing
on the coupling.  I took some pics with the digital camera and posted it to
the link below, so people can look.

Does anyone have any idea what I need to do, leaving them loose can't be
right.   Please look at the pictures at the following like and let me know.

http://carport.virtualave.net/shifter.htm

Also, though not a pressing issue.  I think I still have the early
transmission tunnel with a cover to work with the later style, can you guys
tell from the pictures in the above link?  When I order carpet for the car,
what do I need to order if this is non standard (early carpet kit vs a
later carpet kit.  Can I still get the molded tunnel carpet?

Next, I was going to send my new number plate off to Todd Clarke, but
hadn't gotten around to it. Has anyone done it themselves? What did you use
(I see Harbor Freight has a cheap stamp sets, but I don't know what size
would be correct). I will need this done before inspection.

Does anyone know the nut size for the rear bumper for my 67 MGB so I can
mount that?

I also have to bolt the wind shield down and get the flashers working, do
you think I need to worry about installing the vent windows and side
glass?  I don't think I need them for inspection, but I am not sure.  When
I got the Corvair inspected it was lights, horn, flashers, wipers and that
was all, but it was obviously a complete car.

I am sure that I will come across other problems.   Hopefully I can get
most of this knocked out over the next three days and I can technically
have the car on the road for British Car Week

Patton

Patton Dickson - Richmond, TX
1965 Corvair Monza 110/4sp 'vert
1967 MGB MK I Roadster