RE: Memorial Day/British Car week project questions

To: "'Patton Dickson'" <kpdii@earthlink.net>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Memorial Day/British Car week project questions
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Sat, 25 May 2002 10:20:06 -0700
Patton:

        Great Photos.

        What you have is an interesting half way all-synchro conversion.
I'm betting the DPO only had the transmission and not the shifter hold down
bits.

        It looks like it will work ok for the moment, but what you want is
the correct hold down plate for the all sync trans.  The one on there is the
original 3 synch plate kinda held down with 3 bolts in the original all
synch holes.

        The plate should be reasonably easy to find used as they don't tend
to get lost, but plan on buying new stepped bolts and special spring
washers, as these are like hens teeth.

        They are listed in the Moss catalog (look closer Matt) cos I put em
there, after wondering why they wern't listed for too many years.

> On the transmission shifter housing there I have the ball
> cover that looks
> like an inverted bowl, there are three bolts that seem to be
> there to hold
> the cover on, but they are not (nor can be) bolted all the
> way down.  The
> exploded transmission picture in the Moss and Vicky Brit
> catalog does not
> show bolts for the 67 transmission but it seems to use a
> clip.  I see the
> later style uses screws, but it does not use the bowl shaped
> cover but
> instead a flat one.  Driving down the street and back tells
> me I have the
> later all sync transmission.

> Also, though not a pressing issue.  I think I still have the early
> transmission tunnel with a cover to work with the later
> style, can you guys
> tell from the pictures in the above link?  When I order
> carpet for the car,
> what do I need to order if this is non standard (early carpet
> kit vs a
> later carpet kit.  Can I still get the molded tunnel carpet?

        You will need the early carpet kit, as the late kit is way too big.
Check around there may be someone offering a kit specifically for the
conversion, I'm not aware of one though.  The molded kit may have enough
give, but I havn't experience.  Any of the flat kits could be modified by
cutting back and sewing in a bit of extra material.

> (I see Harbor Freight has a cheap stamp sets, but I don't
> know what size
> would be correct). I will need this done before inspection.

        I've used the stamps from Harbor Freight effectively, I don't know
the size either but they came in a little pinkish red plastic container if
that is any help at all.

good luck with the project.

Kelvin.