Re: Dizzy Cap condensation

To: proot@iaces.com
Subject: Re: Dizzy Cap condensation
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Jun 2002 12:36:13 -0400
Paul,
  If it is just condensation, it's a nuisance but not indicative of
anything wrong with the engine.  If the engine is cold while the air is
humid and the temperature is rising rapidly, the engine can be wet with
condensation and some will form in the distributor also.  A new cap may
be worth having as a spare, but condensation will form in any cap. This
can be a constant problem with marine engines in early summer.
  It can happen that the engine gets wet on a rainy day and that some
water can splash onto the distributor. One drop of water will appear to
be a lot of condensation within the cap.
  The heater control valve is thoughtfully placed above the cap. It's a
design feature that informs you the valve is leaking when the engine
sputters and shuts off  but before the cooling system runs dry.  You
might check the valve for drips.
  Water in the cap can cause the spark to jump around in the cap, which
can lead to rough running and hard starting until it dries out. Because
the cap is mostly closed to the exterior, it won't dry out nearly as
readily as it gets wet.   WD40 works well to displace the droplets after
you have wiped the cap inside and out with a dry cloth.
  I would check it again tomorrow morning, but unless you see oil or
smell antifreeze in the cap, it is probably only condensation from the
air.
Bob