Re: MG owner confession:

To: Otis15@aol.com
Subject: Re: MG owner confession:
From: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2002 10:20:49 -0700
There is a reason that SpecMiata is one of the (if not the) most
popular racing class in (at least our region of) the SCCA. You can
build a competitive race car, that handles well for under $7,000. Sure
you can build a Pro-7 (rx7 spec class) for less, but those first
generation Rx7s are evil handling beasts. I had one for several years,
sure it was many seconds a lap faster than my MG, but it's horrible
reliability (that thing would eat alternators like potato chips) and
abysmal handling made me truly appreciate my MGB.

One day, I was teaching at a Miata Club track school (driving my MG)
and I realized that everything that I wished I could do to improve the
performance of my MG came stock on a Miata, and that it would be
easier to take a few hundred pounds out of a Miata and stiffen up the
springs than it would be to infuse 40 years of technology into the
MG.

They truly are what a B would be today. I bet if you corrected for
inflation, they probably even cost a similar amount.

On the other hand, they are not MGs, and while you can make a Miata
noisy, uncomfortable and leak oil, it is impossible to retrofit
history and tradition. Which is the same reason that so many people
buy Hardley Ablesons rather than reliable Jap-cruisers. But don't
worry, I won't go on a rant about posers on motorcycles.

   Larry

--
I've found something worse than oldies station that play the music I used to
listen to. Oldies stations that play the "new" music I used to complain about.