Re: Wire wheel hubs and spline questions...

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>,
Subject: Re: Wire wheel hubs and spline questions...
From: Barrie Robinson <barrier@bconnex.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Aug 2002 10:16:31 -0400
Andrew,

My splines were not as bad as yours but my shop said "get new ones" and
this from a very knowledgeable chap, albeit, a perfectionist.  Problem is -
how are your wheels.  I had to dump mine as  the spokes were loose and
age/rust made it impossible to tighten them.

By the way - What does one do with old spoke wheels??

At 08:32 PM 8/17/02 -0600, Andrew B. Lundgren wrote:
>I mentioned that I am replacing the splines on my '70 MGB.
>
>When I pulled off a front wheel tonight I was surprised to see that the
>splines had been up against the base of the hub.  They have left marks
>in the hub in fact.  Is this normal or was my car equipped with the
>wrong hubs up front?  The grease cap also did not seem like the ones I
>have read about.  I have some pictures of the hubs at:
>
><http://www.lundgren.us/camera/MG%20Pictures/index0006.html>
><http://www.lundgren.us/camera/MG%20Pictures/index0007.html>
>
>After having read material on how to examine hubs, mine seemed worn,
>that an the creak I was getting made me uncomfortable to drive the car.
>  I stopped a while back. But I don't really have any hands on
>experience with good hubs to know how bad mine are.
>
>If you have any experience with this, please take a look at tell me
>what you think.  Are my front hubs incorrect, and how badly worn are
>these hubs.
>
>(If you can tell from the pictures that is.  I scraped the grease off
>so it would be clearer, but it might still be a hands on job.)
>
>TIA!
>

>--
>Andrew Lundgren
>lundgren@byu.net