Re: Wire wheel hubs and spline questions...

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Wire wheel hubs and spline questions...
From: "Telewest \(PH\)" <paul.hunt1@blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 13:03:57 +0100
P8170017.JPG and P8170019.JPG look like some of the splines have started to
strip putting that hub in the 'dangerous' category.  P8170003.JPG looks in
reasonable condition although the tops of the splines have started to
narrow.

When new the splines are triangular in cross-section but with a flat top, I
have been told the hub should have a dia of 2.440" across the splines.  As
they wear the flat top gets narrower and eventually gets to a sharp point,
at which time they may actually have a slightly larger diameter than
originally.  Then the top of the triangles start to shear off until
eventually the wheel will spin on the hub under braking or acceleration.  At
that point the splines have flat tops again, but wider than originally, and
the diameter will be less than originally.  Wheels ditto.