Re: Optimal temperature, radiator cap, etc.

To: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Optimal temperature, radiator cap, etc.
From: David Councill <dcouncil@imt.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 16:13:17 -0600
It would appear that your thermostat is not working as designed. There are
several thermostats to choose from, from the 160 degree summer version to
the 190 degree winter version (and I think there may be a 180 degree one
also). All are commonly available because I think the same thermostat works
in small block Chevies or some other American car.

When working, the thermostat should stay closed until that temperature is
achieved so unless its really hot or cold outside, your water temperature
should be right at the thermostat rating when warmed up. I run the 190
degree thermostat year round so my water temperature runs real close to
that. But during hot days (95-100 degrees here in Montana), it has run more
like 195-200. But during the winter when temps get below zero (F), then my
water temperature may only get to 130 or 140 degrees and the heater pumps
out cooler air. That is when I stick a piece of cardboard over the radiator
to cover maybe a third of the cooling surface.

David Councill
67 BGT
72 B