Re: Optimal temperature, radiator cap, etc.

To: MG List <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Optimal temperature, radiator cap, etc.
From: Max Heim <mvheim@attbi.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:10:48 -0700
on 8/20/02 11:59 PM, Larry Colen at lrcar@red4est.com wrote:

> Why doesn't the engine run best with the same temp thermostat all year
> round?

It should. I personally think the practice of seasonally changing
thermostats is silly.

In theory, an internal combustion engine is more efficient at a higher
operating temperature. Obviously, there is a practical limitation to this --
boiling, pre-detonation, etc. But I see nothing wrong with running it at 190
all year long. In your case you might need one of those oil cooler
thermostats to allow it to even get up to that temperature. Then you would
still have a huge safety margin for track work.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149