Re: Optimal temperature, radiator cap, etc.

To: Larry Colen <lrcar@red4est.com>
Subject: Re: Optimal temperature, radiator cap, etc.
From: Charles & Peggy Robinson <ccrobins@ktc.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 09:52:20 -0500
  You'll get as many answers to the correct thermo question as you'll ge
answers.  I run a 180 degree (F) thermostat all year 'round in my '69 B,
with 50-50 antifreeze mix.  Temperatures here in the TX hill country
vary seasonally between roughly 25 and 100. Of course one of the first
things I did after I bought the car was remove the radiator and have it
rodded out.

  Your cooling system must be working well, judging from your
stop-and-go traffic temps.   Some people use a 160 in the summer, change
to a higher temp thermo in the winter - say, 195.  I leave it be and
cover my oil cooler and part of the radiator in really cold weather.
Engine warms up faster and the heater works fine this way.

  I believe a working temp of 180 -190 is a good bet.  Keep in mind that
the thermo will act to keep the coolant temp  _at least_ as hot as the
thermo temp rating.  Once the thermo is open all the way, it's
essentially out of the temp control loop as far as getting hotter is
concerned.

  Cheers,

  CR