Re: Rear Hub removal on a tube axel...

To: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Hub removal on a tube axel...
From: Jim Evans <jevans@imaxx.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 20:32:30 -0500
Use a BFH to finish the job.  First remove the beveled ring with gentle taps to
a screwdriver in the
slot...sometimes you can just insert the screwdriver into the slot & twist it
but probably not if it has
been there since 1970.  Now take your BFH (a machinist's hammer or 2 lb sledge
will do) and give the flat
part of the flange a few whacks.  This will release the binding caused from
torqueing that nut down to 150
lb (check your book...I think it's 150 or 160...definetely not finger tight
like one I found in my shop one
time). Remove the conical spacer by gently putting two screwdrivers into the
two slots...force them in just
a little & you can walk it right out.  There is no need for a puller or heat
for this job unless you have a
bad aim with a hammer.
Jim Evans