RE: Wire front hub spacer questions

To: "'Andrew B. Lundgren'" <lundgren@byu.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wire front hub spacer questions
From: "Larry Hoy" <list@marketvalue.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 22:37:30 -0600
> Do the spacers have to be mated with my front end, or with any front
end?

Your front end.

> Is the variation that the spacers accommodate in the shafts, the hubs
or both?

The shims accommodate the variances in the spindle, the hubs, the
bearings and spacer.

> What I was thinking is I could take the hubs in and have them
validated prior to
> installing them on the car.  I am guessing that the variation is in
both the hub and the shaft however.

Validate the hubs?

> Thought I would ask.  Now the obvious, it seemed like the
> manuals were basically saying that you should use a
> micrometer when installing the spacers to make sure it is
> correct.  Is it that simple?

Here's the controversial part of your message.  Some on this list will
tell you don't even bother with the spacer or shims.  They will tell you
to tighten the assembly like a Miata.  I disagree.

As I recall the 'book' suggests fitting the hub with dry bearings, then
greasing the bearings and re-assembling everything.  When you are
fitting you are to measure the end play of the hub in relationship to
the spindle.  That's where the dial indicator comes in.  I haven't used
this system, ever, and I am not looking at the repair manual so this is
from memory.

I suggest you do use the spacers and shims.  My method is to start by
guessing on the amount of shims (start with the ones you took out).
Don't bother with doing this with dry bearings, just use the greased up
ones.  Then tighten the spindle nut VERY tight.  If the hub won't move
then you need to add more shims. A micrometer is a good tool to measure
and sort the shims with.  Then add, or subtract shims until the feel is
'just right'.  When you think you are done, install the wheel on the
car.  While holding the wheel and tire assembly at the 12 and 6 O'clock
positions, wiggle it.  If there is a noticeable movement (you'll feel
it, not see it), it probably is too loose.  If you spin the wheel it
should rotate smoothly on its own for many revolutions before it stops.
If it doesn't you probably have it too tight.  In my opinion it is much
better to err on the side of too loose.  I've done them too tight ... I
don't like talking about the results.

If you would like, call me and I can explain this verbally.  It might be
easier for me to explain.

Larry Hoy