Wire front hub spacer questions

To: "mgs@autox.team.net" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Wire front hub spacer questions
From: "Andrew B. Lundgren" <lundgren@byu.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 21:50:32 -0600
I am replacing the wheels and hubs on my '70 B.

I have one side off.  I read my various manuals (4) about replacing the
spacers on the front hubs.  They are are all very specific about the
need to get those exactly correct.

Do the spacers have to be mated with my front end, or with any front
end?  Is the variation that the spacers accommodate in the shafts, the
hubs or both?  What I was thinking is I could take the hubs in and have
them validated prior to installing them on the car.  I am guessing that
the variation is in both the hub and the shaft however.

Thought I would ask.  Now the obvious, it seemed like the manuals were
basically saying that you should use a micrometer when installing the
spacers to make sure it is correct.  Is it that simple?  I think I must
be missing something as it seems too simple.

--
Andrew Lundgren
lundgren@byu.net